24.4.12

You Said WHAT?!

"Tolerance, inter-cultural dialogue and respect for diversity are more essential than ever in a world where peoples are becoming more and more closely interconnected."
—Kofi Annan, Former Secretary-General of the United Nations

Nine months. Nine whole months. In three more, we will have been expats for an entire year! The time has flown, but then on the other hand, I feel like we have succeeded in making Serbia "home" and that took a good amount of time and energy. In nine months, Chris and I have made lifelong friends, mastered driving in a foreign country, figured out the art of hasty border crossings, learned how to avoid speeding tickets, found hole-in-the-wall stores that sell tasty energy bars, zip lock bags, spray paint, Eco friendly detergent, scentless toilet paper, and specialty light bulbs, and we can communicate in basic Serbian. Things don't seem so foreign after nine whole months here. 

We're not just "surviving" in Serbia, on the contrary, we're really enjoying life here. Of course it helps that summer is just around the corner and all of a sudden the city of Subotica has exploded with new life and energy. Old friends come out of the woodwork, and new friendships are easily formed over iced coffee and fresh strawberries at outdoor cafes. 

While I have been warmly welcomed into the Serbian culture, I will never BE Serbian. I am American, and while I am doing my very best to be tolerant and culturally aware, inevitably there will be (and have been) hic-ups along the way. I still stumble over my words, offend people with my clothing choices, startle old women when I wear open toed shoes in April, and shock my friends when I casually place my purse on the ground rather than in the chair next to me. 

One of the funniest things happened the first week that Chris and I arrived in Serbia, although I did not realize what I had actually SAID until much much later. 

About a month ago, I was drinking coffee at Stara Pizzeria with a group of eight or so friends. We were casually talking and they asked me how I was liking Serbia eight months in. I told them that I really felt comfortable here but that there was one interaction I had had when we first moved that still just seemed strange. A man in a local grocery store had been very angry with me and I could not figure out why. It was the one and only angry reaction I can remember getting in Serbia. Chris and I had driven to Roda Megamart together to try to make sense of the new grocery stores. We rolled our cart around trying to find basic food necessities in a foreign land. We managed to find most things that we needed, and as we were about to check out I realized that we did not have any meat. 

"Chris, we need to get some chicken. I know they eat a lot of pork in Serbia, but I am sure they have chicken. They have to have chicken, right?!"

So we rolled up to the meat counter and spotted what we thought was chicken. I just had to ask the butcher for two pieces of boneless chicken. 

"Chris, I don't know the word for chicken in Serbian - do you?"

"No I don't know that word either, but don't you know the word in Russian? Maybe it's the same word? you should try that."

I did know the word for chicken in Russian! I felt so clever that on my first grocery store run I would be able to communicate with the butcher. 

The butcher was a big, burly Serbian man and he seemed very serious. He sauntered over to us and asked how he could help. 

Without skipping a beat, I smiled and proudly announced (in Russian) that I needed two pieces of chicken: 

"Ya hocu dva kuritsa!"

All of a sudden my eight Serbian friends interrupted my story; "YOU SAID WHAT?!" They were all laughing so loud and hard that the entire restaurant was glaring at us. 

"What did I say wrong? I wanted chicken. . . and I now know that the Serbian word is different, but did I say something wrong?"

Sanela smiled at me through her laughter-tears, "Tell us what he said to you next."

"Ummm . . . well, he was really angry. I mean, really angry. He glared at me and raised his voice and AGAIN asked what I needed. I looked at Chris, I looked at the butcher and then I started flapping my arms like a chicken and making balking noises. Chris just walked away embarrassed by my charades, but in the end I got what I wanted. . . two pieces of chicken. What did I say to him?!"

They could not stop laughing and by this point people were getting up and moving away from our noisy table. Almost in unison, all eight of them explained the error I had made. 

Apparently the word for chicken in Russian is slang for (I will put this in polite terms) "a very small man-part" in Serbian. Yup. I had asked the big, burly butcher if he had "a very small man-part." For eight months, I had NO IDEA how offensive I had been to that Serbian butcher. All I could do was laugh to the point of tears. 

Ohhh, and I guess that now I have a great party story. 

I am sure that is just one of the many language blunders we have made along the way. 

20 comments:

  1. hahahaha, that is hilarious!!! I'm not sure why he got so upset, I think it's more funny than offensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really was offended! I was shocked and my husband was mortified! Oh well, it makes for a great story now!

      Delete
  2. LOL awesome story. I did the equivalent in a cafe in Novi Sad, only calling the place a small female part because of the strange spelling of the joint. I too laughed till I cried. What can you do? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an adventure every day! It have gotten to the place where everywhere I go in Subotica, people know I am a foreigner, so often people help me struggle through Serbian and they rarely point out my glaring mistakes. :)

      Delete
  3. oh hon...i really...but really have no idea why havent told this to puskas..i am shure he would love the story...ok... i love it 2!!!!!!...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The joys of living cross-culturally. See you wouldn't have such stories if you were too shy to try. I am proud of you hon, blunders and all. Love you so much and miss you! Mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What would an expat experience be without a few of these stories?! Hahah

      Delete
  5. Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice story, I had my share of moments mispronouncing stuff. I still mess stuff up with the tenses.

    BTW, what I think really is funny is that you thought they don't eat chicken here. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I know that they eat chicken - but of course they eat more pork than chicken.

      Delete
    2. Hmm, I guess we don't fall into the 'they' as we only eat chicken, minus the times I have steak at Dennis :)

      Delete
    3. We eat more pork because that was the only meat that Muslim Turks wouldn't rob from us.

      Delete
    4. ^^ LOL, Classic Nationalist Serb Comment :))

      Delete
    5. LOL, classic comment from ex-Christian, now Muslim, that sold his faith for dinner ;-)

      Prodali ste veru za večeru Mujo!

      And perhaps you can educate all of us how the life was for Serbs and other Christians under the Turkish rule. Explain to us annualy customs of "Day in blood", when all male children under 5 years old were taken away, the custom of "First wedding night" for Turkish rulers whenever there would be a wedding between Serbs, "Harac" tax when 9/10 of everything a peasant makes must give to his rulers...

      Delete
    6. "classic comment from ex-Christian, now Muslim" *rolls eyes*

      Delete
    7. Samo ga rolaj ;)

      Delete
  7. But wait, if you said "Ya hocu dva kuritsa", it literally means "I want two dicks". That's the only possible translation, it could never be that he has small or something. Check it again with your friends, something i strange or they didn't understand you.

    Ya or Ja = I
    hocu = want
    dva = two
    kuritsa or kurca = dicks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot remember if I said "I want. . " or "Do you have. . . " Either way, he was not happy with me and I said something awful! :)

      Delete
  8. Lol, I don't know why he felt offended when it seems you actually offered him a threesome! :D
    He should be happy, not angry. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a message and like our little journal/blog! If you have specific questions, please email us at chrisandlana@gmail.com

Do you have a blog too? Tell us about it in your comment, and thanks for stopping by!

The McCoys